- US Air Conditioning grew to exceed USD 20 Billion in 2018
US Packaged air conditioning market leapt to over USD 20 billion in 2018 while US Central Plant Air Conditioning Market shows four consecutive years of growth.
- Revised British Standard on Legionella Risk Assessment
Nine years since the first standard on Legionella Risk Assessment, BS 8580, was published, a significantly revised version has just been released
- Empowering the Construction Industry to take Action on Mental Health
It is no secret that mental health is an issue in construction. Transient working patterns, long hours, working away from home and a macho, stiff upper lip culture can combine to create a challenging environment for employees – not least for men.
- Building for Wellbeing
What is the importance of facilities management on the health and wellbeing of a workforce?
- World Heat Pump Market Study 2019
The Global Heat Pumps Market recorded sales in units of slightly over 3 million units which was a slight decline from 2017
- French Air Conditioning Market Due to Soar to New Levels
BSRIA’s 2018 estimate that the market for ducted and un ducted single splits, multi splits, and VRF had increased to 589,000 units, while 532,000 condensing boilers were sold
- Policies and Standards Drive Changes in Global Heating Markets
The Asia and the Pacific region remain the largest heating market in the world, in volume terms, despite a decline in sales volume in 2018 by 8%
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions - July 2019 Kimo100 series promotion
For July 2019 only BSRIA Instrument Solutions is offering a free rubber boot case (ST110), half price calibrations and 24 month warranty on all Kimo 100 Series instruments
- BSRIA speaking at & supporting ISK-SODEX Exhibition in Istanbul - 2019
BSRIA is proud to be speaking at and supporting ISK-SODEX 2019 taking place at the Tüyap Fair Convention and Congress Center, Istanbul, Turkey, between Wednesday 2nd – Saturday 5th October 2019.
- Designing for Employee Wellbeing
How strengthening the relationship between people and place through workplace transformation can influence employee and organisational performance
- Building legislation and guidance update
A summary of the key recent and forthcoming legislation and guidance affecting buildings
- Supporting members and clients across the north of the UK
BSRIA opened its North of England office at Preston in 2017 to initially provide instrument, test, training and membership services
- BSRIA's new Soft Landings Awards - winners announced!
The winners have been announced at Friday’s BSRIA’s inaugural Soft Landings Awards. The winners were announced to wrap up BSRIA’s Soft Landings Conference 2019: quality and performance – two sides of the same coin staged at ARUP in London.
- BSRIA welcomes government zero net carbon commitment
BSRIA has welcomed today’s Prime Minister Theresa May’s announcement to commit the UK to net zero target for greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. On behalf of BSRIA members, and the wider built environment industry, we now call on government to turn words into deeds and deliver such action.
- BSRIA signs up NACE to membership
In a blaze of glory – NACE – the National association of Chimney Engineers has joined BSRIA membership this month.
- Louvres - to combat & complement the effects of climate change
When it comes to the efficient operation of a building, even the seemingly small decisions can have a big consequence, for example, what elements do you need to consider when specifying a weather louvre? BSRIA North’s expert, louvre testing facilities offer a solution.
- Outstanding installation and servicing requires outstanding products
BSRIA Instrument Solutions supplies Testo 440 humidity, temperature and air velocity kits to Condair plc's service & installation teams
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions are offering a free DP Measurements Ane vane head with all TT550S and TT570SV purchases
For June 2019 only BSRIA Instrument Solutions is offering a free DP Measurements Ane vane head with all TT550S and TT570SV micromanometer instrument purchases
- BSRIA staging new Soft Landings Awards - shortlist announced!
The shortlist has been selected for BSRIA’s inaugural Soft Landings Awards, which were unveiled in March. The winners will be announced at BSRIA’s Soft Landings Conference 2019: quality and performance – two sides of the same coin on Friday 14th June at ARUP in London.
- Member questions: Closed water systems, chemical store ventilation and circular economy
BSRIA answers some of the interesting building services engineering questions posed by its members
- Circular economy in the built environment
BSRIA takes an enlightening account extolling the virtues of the circular economy and the need to move away from a linear structure
- The Blockchain in the built environment
BSRIA introduces the concept of Blockchain and how it can be employed in the construction industry to keep accurate records of payments
- Guidance launched on commissioning services in new homes
At your services – What to expect during commissioning – was launched this week by The NHBC Foundation in collaboration with BSRIA. Published in answer to the ever-escalating cluster of services – from solar-technologies to whole-house ventilation systems.
- BSRIA successfully extends the scope of its UKAS accreditation for sampling Formaldehyde & TVOCs
BSRIA has successfully extended the scope of its UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accreditation for sampling Formaldehyde and Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) in accordance with BS EN 16000-3:2011 and BS EN 16000-6:2011 respectively.
- BSRIA Annual Global Air Conditioning Study shows growth
The recently published BSRIA market intelligence study on the global air conditioning (AC) market continued to show growth in 2018. Economic and population growth, urbanization and rising temperatures in countries such as Bangladesh, Brazil, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya and Vietnam: main drivers.
- BSRIA extends scope of its UKAS accreditation for domestic hot water heat pump testing
BSRIA has successfully extended the scope of its UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accreditation to include testing of domestic hot water heat pump in accordance with BS EN 16147:2017.
- Catapulting new companies into the world of smart heating & cooling
The Energy Systems Catapult’s Smart Heating & Cooling event staged in Birmingham last week confirmed that in the UK there are a wide range of companies offering innovative heating and cooling solutions, including solar thermal generation, energy storage (including thermal storage).
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions are offering a 22.5% discount off all Testo 440 products
For May 2019 only BSRIA Instrument Solutions is offering a fantastic 22.5% discount off the sale of all Testo 440 products, accessories and associated calibrations.
- BSRIA staging new Soft Landings Awards - submit your entry!
The countdown is on for industry to get involved with BSRIA’s new and exciting Soft Landings Awards, which were unveiled in March, and submit entries. The deadline is: Monday 20th May. The winners will be announced at BSRIA’s Soft Landings Conference 2019 on Friday 14th June at ARUP in London.
- Framework for net zero carbon buildings launched in Parliament
The UK Green Building Council (UKGBC) has delivered a framework for the UK construction and property industry to transition new and existing buildings to becoming net zero carbon by 2050, to meet the ambitions of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- BSRIA confirms speakers for prestigious industry event
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges facing society now. It is “high on the agenda” of personal and public issues. Only last week – the Extinction Rebellion protested in central London to highlight its climate change concerns with the decision makers.
- BACS Building Automation Controls - the information revolution
The industry is in the early stages of what could become a revolution in which data, the Cloud, analytics, IP connectivity and system convergence all “come together” to create the genuinely ‘smart’ building.
- Global growth in 2018 for structured cabling
Findings show that the global structured cabling market had “a very good year”, increasing by 4.2 per cent to USD 6.7 billion in 2018, “a much better performance than 2017” when the market increased by 1.8 per cent. The global estimate is based on data from 39 countries.
- BSRIA Residential Network Event: Building Better Homes Faster 4 - holistic approach an answer
BSRIA’s Building Better Homes Faster 4 event took place on Friday 7th December 2018. The key messages were: a holistic approach to house building is a recipe for success; and green spaces and healthy living is the new sustainable.
- BSRIA launches Soft Landings and Business-Focused Maintenance Topic Guide
BSRIA has launched its highly-anticipated new free to download topic guide on Soft Landings and Business-Focused Maintenance. As ever, the guide is an ‘at a glance publication’ to give readers a glimpse of the subject and recommends further reading.
- BSRIA Briefing 2019 - Dame Kelly Holmes, DBE - after lunch speaker
BSRIA is delighted to announce that the guest speaker at its flagship event – the annual Briefing and lunch – is Dame Kelly Holmes, DBE and will be held at the Brewery, in London, on Friday 15th November 2019.
- Call to educate the end user: BSRIA stages sustainable clean combustion event
To ensure industry complies with the Clean Air Strategy, launched by DEFRA in January, a Sustainable Clean Combustion event was staged by BSRIA on Wednesday where BSRIA’s Test House facilities were showcased. Presentations on the strategy and reducing emissions were given.
- Demographics - how a changing population is transforming the built environment
BSRIA has launched its White Paper on Megatrends: Demographics. Given that demographics look at the size, structure, movement and rates of change of human populations, this topic is likely to have impact on almost all industries and disciplines, nowhere more so than for Building Services.
- ISH 2019 Frankfurt - BSRIA highlights importance of connectivity in the HVAC&R sector
The importance of connectivity in the HVAC&R sector was highlighted by BSRIA experts at the recent BSRIA global HVAC trends presentations given at ISH 2019 in Frankfurt. The presentation session on the evening of Tuesday 12th March was attended by over 100 delegates from all industry segments.
- BSRIA's Mike Smith wins ACR News Alan Moor Award
Hot-on-the-heels of BSRIA’s Engineering Director, Mike Smith, being made an Honorary Member of BSRIA, he has added to this accolade by being awarded the ACR News Alan Moor Award at a ceremony held on Thursday 21st March in London.
- BSRIA staging new Soft Landings Awards
BSRIA is calling on industry to submit entries for its new Soft Landings Awards! Soft Landings project of the year – smaller projects (total value: up to £20m). Soft Landings project of the year – larger projects (total value: more than £20m). Soft Landings practitioner of the year.
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions now supplies the Testo 300 flue gas analyser range
Now available to Hire or Buy from BSRIA Instrument Solutions is the Testo 300 flue gas analyser range, which is available in several different kit configurations, including the capability to have an NO sensor fitted for calculating NOx in compliance with the Energy Related Products Directive (ErP).
- Mike Smith made Honorary Member of BSRIA
BSRIA is pleased to announce that Mike Smith, Engineering Director, BSRIA, has been made an Honorary Membership of BSRIA. This is only the 11th time this honour has been awarded in the 64-year history of the Association.
- Big growth in District Heating markets: now & on the horizon
The market of district energy (DE), including district heating and district cooling, has witnessed large growth in many countries in Europe in the last five years – and also a significant growth in China.
- Well-made buildings: why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers
Factors and considerations that property managers need to consider in the optimisation of their buildings for health and wellbeing
- Introducing Colin Goodwin - BSRIA Technical Director
Q&A with Colin Goodwin, newly appointed Technical Director at BSRIA
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions exhibiting at The Health & Safety Event at The NEC, Birmingham in April 2019
BSRIA Instrument Solutions is proud to be showcasing a comprehensive range of measuring and monitoring instruments at the Health & Safety Event being held from Tuesday 9th – Thursday 11th April at The NEC in Birmingham.
- Europe set for rapid growth in Smart Connected HVAC market
Europe is seeing a rapid growth in the market for Smart Connected HVAC, which refers to a heating, cooling or air conditioning system which is connected to a network – usually the internet – enabling its performance to be monitored and analysed.
- BSRIA gives reaction to Chancellor's Spring Statement - 2019
BSRIA has responded to yesterday’s Chancellor’s Spring Statement. Key points to industry: Housing: • Planning reform to release land in areas where the pressure is greatest.
- BSRIA sponsored MEP & POD Technology Award at Offsite Construction Awards - March 2019
BSRIA is delighted to have sponsored the best use of MEP (mechanical electrical plumbing) and POD Technology Award at the recent Offsite Construction Awards which celebrate the best in precision building design and delivery. The winners were: SES Engineering Services (SES).
- BSRIA staging Wellbeing Event in Manchester
BSRIA is staging an event on Wellbeing, as part of its Wellbeing Network, which will examine the issues around “happy and healthy staff” on Friday 29th March in Manchester.
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions gets personal for worker safety in hazardous environments
Now available to buy or hire from BSRIA Instrument Solutions is the TSI SidePak AM520i personal aerosol monitor, a small, lightweight, single-channel, portable, battery operated, datalogging, light-scattering laser photometer that provides real-time aerosol mass concentration readings of dusts.
- National Apprenticeship Week 2019 : BSRIA calls on industry to get involved
BSRIA is calling for the emphasis to shift from one of being a ‘construction industry’ to one dedicated to the ‘built environment’
- International Women's Day - 8th March: BSRIA says more diversity needed
BSRIA is challenging industry to bring diversity to the top of the agenda in light of International Women's Day 2019 on Friday 8th March. Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, questions whether we doing enough to specifically foster and cultivate the excellence of female engineers – into engineering.
- BSRIA responds to worrying Asthma levels among young people report
BSRIA has responded to a report published last week, which states that young people in the UK are more likely to die from asthma than those in “other wealthy countries”. The study says that death rates for asthma in 10 to 24 year olds was highest in the UK among all 14 European nations.
- BSRIA launches Offsite Construction for Building Services topic guide
BSRIA has launched its highly-anticipated new free to download topic guide on Offsite Construction for Building Services. It is an ‘at a glance publication’ to give readers a glimpse of the subject and suggests further reading.
- A Vision for Digital Highways
Could digital design shape a better future for road networks? “It’s possible,” says Adrian Malone, “if we realise the potential of technology that already exists.”
- Meet the new BSRIA Membership Manager
Against the backdrop of changing technology and with industry facing fresh challenges, the need to access knowledge has never been greater. BSRIA membership can make your business more robust and will furnish you with industry best practice, practical guidance and a selection of tools.
- Red, amber, green: Business Brexit Risk Register
January was a full month of Brexit votes and presentations of the ‘Deal’ to Parliament. The British Chambers of Commerce has created this helpful Business Brexit Risk Register, with a red, amber and green colour coding system highlights 24 business-critical issues.
- BSRIA to announce global HVAC trends at ISH 2019, Germany
BSRIA will be presenting global HVAC trends at ISH 2019 covering the latest market trends on Tuesday 12th March. The trade fair for HVAC + Water takes place from Monday 11th to Friday 15th March in Frankfurt, Germany. BSRIA industry experts will be available for one-to-one meetings from 11th–14th.
- Africa tops world AC growth forecasts
Hot-off-the-press: in 2018, the total African AC market for the continent grew by 4 per cent in volume from 2017. The market is forecast to grow at around 5.5 per cent CAGR between 2017-2023, by volume, which exceeds the global forecast of 4.9 per cent for the same period.
- BSRIA responds to latest Brexit Parliamentary votes: is this Groundhog Day?
After the recent Brexit vote and last week’s presentation of the ‘Deal’ to Parliament, commenting on the latest Parliamentary vote, Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, said: rejecting a ‘no deal’ doesn’t automatically guarantee a deal.
- BSRIA staging Smart Network event - Changing Buildings for a Changing Population
BSRIA is staging an event on Changing Buildings for a Changing Population event, as part of its Smart Network, which will examine the issues around “fast changing demographics” on Friday 1st February in London.
- BSRIA launches new training courses - 2019 - air, fire & water
New year – new training – fresh start! To kick-start 2019 – BSRIA has launched a suite of new training courses – for members and industry alike to achieve and raise their skills and competency levels.
- BSRIA staging 2019 Soft Landings Conference: Quality & Performance - two sides of the same coin
Hot-on-the-heels of 2018’s successful conference, and that of the previous two years, BSRIA is staging its fourth flagship Soft Landings Conference 2019: quality and performance – two sides of the same coin. It will take place on Friday 14th June at ARUP in London.
- Soft Landings and Design for Performance
This article explains what Design for Performance (DfP) is and its objective to close the energy gap in buildings
- Member questions: Energy calculations, commissioning of pipework and extract system design
BSRIA experts answer some of the interesting building services questions posed by its members
- BSRIA comments on government's Clean Air Strategy - stoves
BSRIA has responded to government’s Clean Air Strategy, published today, in which wood burning stoves and open fires face new restrictions in a world leading plan to combat air pollution in England. Government pledges to set a bold new goal to reduce particulates across much of the country by 2030.
- BSRIA presenting at & attending BICSI Winter Conference in Orlando - 2019
BSRIA is proud to be presenting at and attending the BICSI Winter Conference in Orlando, Florida, running from Sunday 20th – Thursday 24th January 2019 and urges members and industry alike to attend to meet BSRIA experts.
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions Sponsors the 2019 CSA Awards
BSRIA Instrument Solutions is pleased to announce it will be sponsoring the Project of the Year award at the Commissioning Specialist Association (CSA) Awards Gala Dinner and Ceremony to be held at The Tower Hotel in St. Katharine's Dock, London on Thursday 27th June 2019.
- BSRIA launches its famous Blue Book 2019
BSRIA is delighted to announce that the launch of the BSRIA Blue Book for 2019. Once again, the famous Blue Book contains invaluable industry information.