- HVAC market trends: UK heat pumps, heat interface units, and boilers
The dynamic in the UK has changed significantly since the pandemic, where it was still considered a commercially driven market, now the majority of multi-splits are sold into domestic. Single-splits remain mostly commercially driven, but here too the share of domestic has increased significantly.
- Structure cabling market: a year of recovery
In 2021 the global market increased by 13% to USD 6.98 billion for the 38 countries covered in BSRIA’s world study for structured cabling . That equates to a marginal increase compared to the market value in 2019.
- Exceptional growth overall despite supply chain bottlenecks and price increases in the US
The US economy continues to record robust growth driven by high consumer consumption, low unemployment, and affordable credit. The residential and non-residential construction market also continues to grow.
- Heating market: District heating expansion leads to steady heat interface unit (HIU) growth
District Heating is one of the three pathways for the decarbonisation of heating, together with electrification and green gas. In other words, and looking at the prospects of residential heating, the two types of potential substitutes for domestic fossil fuel boilers are centralised district heating and heat pumps.
- Intelligent tech leads the development of China’s bathroom market
BSRIA Worldwide Market Intelligence has been tracking the development of the China’s Bbathroom market for more than 10 years. In 2021, China's economy recovered from the pandemic and grew by 8.1% from the previous year
- Actuate UK: Understanding the barriers to delivering high-quality Net Zero buildings
Net Zero targets will have a huge impact on how buildings are designed, built, operated and maintained. Energy Systems Catapult is conducting research on behalf of Actuate UK to understand the current barriers to delivering high quality Net Zero buildings and how these might be overcome.
- BSRIA publishes Soft Landings for Fit-Outs (BG 81/2022)
The new guide is intended for use by all parties of a fit-out project, from the client to the consultant team. It establishes the methodologies which can be adopted by the project team to promote better understanding, engagement, and contribution by all.
- BSRIA launches air quality initiative to raise awareness of contaminants in homes, schools, and workplaces.
BSRIA launches air quality initiative to raise awareness of contaminants in homes, schools, and workplaces.
- Changes to the Building Regulations coming into effect in England, June 15th, 2022
Watch BSRIA Publications Manager, David Bleicher, discuss changes to the Building Regulations coming into effect in England on June 15th, 2022.
- BSRIA extends scope of UKAS accreditation for fan coil unit testing
BSRIA is delighted to announce it has extended its scope of UKAS accreditation to include fan coil unit testing in accordance with BS EN 1397:2021 Heat exchangers. Hydronic room fan coil units. Test procedures for establishing the performance, which supersedes the 2015 version of the standard.
- Spring Statement: Cut in VAT welcome but it is a drop in the ocean
BSRIA welcomes the Chancellor’s announcement of a cut in VAT on renewables and energy efficiency improvements – including insulation for homeowners – but it feels like a drop in the ocean compared with what is needed today.
- World air conditioning market sees 8.4% growth in volume despite challenges by raw material shortage and increasing prices
Research by BSRIA Worldwide Market Intelligence suggests that, as economies worldwide have been recovering after contraction, strict restrictions and lockdowns, the air conditioning market continues to stabilise, and global growth has been recorded for most segments in 2021.
- Rapid growth in the South Korea window air conditioning market
South Korea's air conditioning market offers a unique vertical type of window unit. After three years of rapid growth from 2019, the market reached sales of more than 200,000 units in 2021. In the domestic air conditioning market, window air conditioning took nearly 10% of sales in 2021.
- Booming heat pump demand hampered by global shortage of supply
The end of the Covid restrictions gave a sharp momentum to the HVAC and Building industry. New construction projects restarted and pushed for more carbon-neutral buildings. Renovation works flourished, supported by rising energy prices and financial incentives.
- BSRIA publishes new insight into the world cabling market
In the world cabling market, the LAN markets were recovering in 2021 but struggled with supply issues, while the data centre market continued to grow driven by demand from data centre operators.
- Domestic and commercial boilers markets show an increasingly volatile global heating market
There is no doubt that the heating industry is at a crossroads. Domestic and commercial boilers markets bounced back in 2021 in most countries, but they face growing pressure as governments strive to hit their net zero targets and offer incentives to switch to renewables
- Practical application of BSRIA’s BG 80/2020 Statutory Compliance Inspection Checklist for Facilities Managers
Designed to help facilities managers navigate the many regulations that govern their buildings, BSRIA's guide explains the various requirements that apply to them.
- BSRIA publishes Statutory Compliance Inspection Checklist for Facilities Managers
BSRIA is delighted to publish its Statutory Compliance Inspection Checklist (BG 80/2020) which will help facilities managers negotiate the many regulations that apply to their buildings.
- BSRIA appoints Nicola Fallowfield-Smith as Business Manager for Worldwide Market Intelligence
BSRIA is delighted to announce the appointment of Nicola Fallowfield-Smith as Business Manager for its leading Worldwide Market Intelligence (WMI) division.
- World HAC&R Compressors
BSRIA has completed its study on the Global market for compressors used in applications for Air Conditioning, Heat Pumps, and Refrigeration. The set of six reports covers Americas, China, EMEA, India, Japan /rest of Asia – South Korea, ASEAN, Oceania, and a combined World overview.
- HVAC 2030: China
BSRIA has been working on a strategic study exploring scenarios on what is likely to happen by the end of this decade, based on the current status of the residential HVAC market and known future enablers for change. The Chinese HVAC market is the biggest in the world while heating has a share of 42% of HVAC sales.
- UK water heater market bounced back in 2021
Sales of all types of water heating units sold in the UK posted positive results compared to 2020 but supply issues are still hampering the demand.
- Building Automation Controls: 2021, a year of recovery
The global BACS market is recovering with growth around 4-5% in 2021. Moderate growth was seen in Scandinavia and North America, while countries such as Mexico, India, Netherlands, Germany and South East Asia experienced double digital growth rates.
- Data Centers Evolving towards Green and Low Carbon in China
Since the Chinese government pushes towards the carbon neutrality by 2060 and with the continuous development of China’s digital economy, the data traffic is exploding. Resulting in the data centre market to maintain its rapidly growth
- BSRIA showcases insight into the latest global HVAC trends
BSRIA held a market intelligence webinar on 9th February to showcase insight into the latest global heating, ventilation, and air conditioning market trends, in lieu of its usual attendance at the AHR Expo in Las Vegas.
- World HAC&R Compressors
The global compressor market has recovered forcefully and is estimated at 486 million units in 2021, and a value of USD 42.4 billion. This includes compressors for air conditioning (200 million units), heat pumps (5 million), and refrigeration (281 million).
- China’s bathroom market remained strong despite the pandemic in 2020
In 2020, China’s bathroom market performed well in the context of the spread of the pandemic and market value increased by more than 5%. Although the growth rate slowed year-on-year, it was better than the negative growth forecasted last year.
- BSRIA World Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS) 2022
Most BACS markets experienced an increase in demand in 2021, but also problems in the supply chain and a surge in material prices. Recovery varies across countries, depending on the fall experienced in 2020, vaccination uptake rates, the economic recovery, and technical, social, and geographic factors.
- HVAC 2030 – The Future of Residential Markets in the US, Europe and China
BSRIA Worldwide Market Intelligence’s latest strategic study explores future scenarios of the residential heating market. HVAC 2030 looks at heating, ventilation, and air conditioning in the decade to come, offering a long-term view of the winning and losing products in residential heating in the US, Europe and China.
- BSRIA’s expanded Asia Pacific air conditioning market coverage shows increasing influence of energy efficiency
The market is estimated to reach some 8.6 million units and a value of USD 5.2 bn in total for the 10 newly researched countries, bringing the Asia Pacific market total to 106 million units in 2021.
- China’s Energy Transformation Outlook 2030/60
China's direct carbon emission from energy consumption reached some 5.5 billion tons in 2020 and is expected to reach a peak around 2030 before declining. Construction carbon emissions will peak at 580 million tons around 2025-2030 (2.2 billion tons of indirect carbon emissions are considered), and then plateau
- Big Energy Saving Week comes to BSRIA Instrument Solutions
Running 17th – 22nd January, Big Energy Saving week is a national campaign organised by Citizens Advice, the Energy Saving Trust, and the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, focused on helping people reduce their energy bills. Read on to find out how BSRIA is supporting the occasion.
- Smoothing the path to Net Zero
With many hurdles to clear on the UK’s path to carbon net-zero, Steve McConnell, Director of the Industrial & Commercial Heating Equipment Association, ICOM and, the Manufacturers of Equipment for Heat Networks Association, MEHNA, discusses the issues and potential solutions that contribute to low carbon heating.
- BSRIA publishes Illustrated Guide to Renewable Technologies
BSRIA is delighted to announce the publication of The Illustrated Guide to Renewable Technologies (BG 34/2021). The guide will benefit construction professionals who do not need to be experts on the topic but need to communicate with those who are.
- BSRIA launches a New European HVAC Field Device study
BSRIA is pleased to announce the latest publication of a series of HVAC Field Device reports covering commercial buildings in 4 European countries: Germany, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
- China industrial refrigeration compressor market will retain buoyant in 2021
As part of BSRIA China’s regular research into monitoring of the Chinese refrigeration market, the study gave insight into the industrial compressor market.
- US HVAC Market: Digitalization accelerating in the US HVAC-R Sector
Digitalization, defined here as the use of digital information and technologies to transform business processes, affects all industries.
- HVAC 2030 – BSRIA puts opportunities and challenges to the industry
BSRIA Worldwide Market Intelligence (WMI) will launch a study to investigate what is likely to happen by the end of this decade, based on the current status of the HVAC market and known future enablers for change.
- Water Heating Market Update 2021
In 2021, despite the continued impact of the pandemic, sales increased from 2020 in each of the residential gas storage, electric storage and heat pump water heater market. Replacement continues to be the main driver as units fitted in the early 2000s are due for refurbishment.
- BSRIA Instrument Solutions presents at the 2021 CSA Awards Event
BSRIA Instruments Solutions was delighted to announce that the The Now Building commissioned by Banyard Consultants Limited was the winner of the 2021 award for Project of the Year at the recent prestigious Commissioning Specialists Associations (CSA) Awards Dinner.
- BSRIA Briefing 2021 — Net Zero Carbon Future: Necessity not Choice
The BSRIA Briefing 2021 will take place Friday 19th November, at the Brewery, London.
- BSRIA launches update to Water Treatment for Closed Heating and Cooling Systems
BSRIA is delighted to announce an update to its seminal water treatment guide, Water Treatment for Closed Heating and Cooling Systems (BG 50/2021). Water treatment is essential in closed heating and cooling systems. Without it, there is far greater risk of biological fouling, corrosion and scale.
- BSRIA, Actuate UK, and the Construction Leadership Council at COP26
Just a few days left now at COP 26 in Glasgow and today the construction industry gets a slot with not only the launch of the CIC Climate Change action plan but BSRIA’s own young engineer Michelle Agha-Hossein discussing the role of soft landings in carbon reduction.
- The role of onsite renewables in tackling climate change
Renewable technologies have an important part to play in reducing CO2 emissions from buildings. BSRIA Publications Manager, David Bleicher, discusses this in light of BSRIA's new guide: The Illustrated Guide to Renewable Technologies, due for release in December 2021.
- COP26: The latest developments and an introduction to the Net Zero Building Centre
Julia Evans OBE, BSRIA CEO, discusses the latest developments at COP26 and introduces Aaron Gillich, Director of the Net Zero Building Centre - a joint venture between BSRIA and London South Bank University.
- BSRIA at COP26 in Glasgow
The 26th Conference of Parties (COP26) has just started in Glasgow and BSRIA is very excited to engage with this politically and socially important event.
- China Reversible Cooling & Heating units Market Overview
With the improvement of people's living standards, the increase in market consumption, and the rapid growth of residential heating market demand in southern China, sales of reversible units have been growing rapidly thanks to their advantages in terms of energy saving, comfort and environmental aspect.
- COP26: A BSRIA introduction
Julia Evans OBE, discusses COP26, taking place in Glasgow 31st Oct – 12th Nov 2021.
- Global HVAC&R compressor market resuming growth
In December 2021 BSRIA will finish updating its reports on the Global market for compressors used in applications for Air Conditioning, Heat Pumps, and Refrigeration. The set of reports covers data for individual world regions: Americas, EMEA, China, India, and Japan/rest of Asia combined.
- HVAC Industry to 2030 and beyond; slow but steady changes in the US expected
The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry is reeling with a year like no other
- Fabric First will safeguard heat decarbonisation
BSRIA discusses a 'fabric first' approach in promoting the holistic view necessary to achieve Net Zero in buildings, following the release of the UK Government’s Heat and Buildings Strategy.
- BSRIA launches updated Pre-Commissioning Cleaning of Pipework Systems training course
BSRIA has updated its popular Pre-Commissioning Cleaning of Pipework Systems training course to reflect the new guidance provided in the amended 6th edition of seminal BSRIA guide, BG 29/2021 Pre-Commission Cleaning of Pipework Systems.
- Young Construction Industry professionals urged to share their views on the future of the sector
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) 2050 Group is calling for young professionals, within the Construction Industry, to share what they would like the industry to look like in 2050 by taking a short survey.