- Undertake Life Cycle Costing (LCC) analysis for a specific project, bid proposal, or to obtain BREEAM credits
- Advice and mentor the project team on LCC analysis throughout their specific project or bid proposal
- Develop a methodology for the project team to follow
- Provide workshops for project teams with LCC models forming the basis of discussion, to understand implications of change to capital, operation and end of life costs
This consultancy service benefits from BSRIA's independence. For clients it means that our advice is not influenced by the desire to promote a particular technical solution or product. For project teams, BSRIA is in a position to challenge the written and unwritten assumptions in the brief, the technical solutions and the detailed design.
All LCC consultancy work from BSRIA is conducted in accordance to BS ISO 15686, Part 5, providing a methodology for the systematic economic evaluation of combined capital, operating and end of life costs of construction project alternatives, to ensure long-term value for project funds.
How the supply chain can use Life Cycle Costing consultancy
- Clients in the private and public sectors who want to understand the Life Cycle Cost of their project
- Manufacturers who would see LCC as a way to prove competitive advantage of their products against competitor offerings
- Design consultants and contractors who want to provide full implications of a comprehensive economic assessment of a project.
- Any stakeholder looking for an independent verification of LCC calculations for a project or specific bid proposal
- Any stakeholder looking for independent economic evaluation between different technical solutions or products
Life cycle costing can be linked to other forms of assessment for prospective projects or alternative designs, such as BREEAM assessments and business-focused maintenance advice.
Training and guidance
BSRIA runs a two-day course: Life Cycle Costing - Theory and Practice taking delegates from the very basics of life cycle costing, through to advanced application of the technique in realistic situations. There is an option just to attend Day 1, which will explain the basics and give delegates an appreciation of what life cycle costing can do. BSRIA has also published a guide to Life Cycle Costing.
Further reading: Getting life cycle costing right blog.