“In recent years – changes in technology have brought with them new issues concerning the level of information provided as outputs from design activities. They have also highlighted the need for clarity around existing topics such as the resolution of clashes throughout the design stages and defining coordination roles and responsibilities. These are addressed in the new edition!
It represents a significant update from the former edition. The release of this new edition ensures that BG 6 continues to be the industry standard document for building services consultants, consulting engineers, contractors and designers. It helps them, and their clients, clarify and define the extent and timing of their design activity and design deliverables on any specific project.”
Ease of use
It is crucial that each party understands its responsibilities as above in terms of design activities, responsibilities and deliverables. Using the guide also ensures that all necessary activities are identified and allocated and that there are no gaps between, or duplication of, responsibilities.
BG 6 provides a series of task lists, model descriptions and sample drawings to let the user decide what activities are carried out by which project team member when and to what level of detail.
Key areas of change include:
- A new layout with clear colour coding for easier navigation.
- Better guidance for the reader/user.
- Completely revised stage-by-stage tasks descriptions as pro-formas.
- New and more illustrations of 3D models and drawings delivered at the different project stages.
- More comprehensive listings of deliverables now available as an online resource.
- A range of worked examples showing how the tools could be completed for different types of project or appointment, in an appendix and online.
BSRIA will be staging new BG 6 training courses in November – in both Bracknell and Preston. And a webinar will be streamed.
BG 6/2018 can be purchased in pdf and hard copy from www.bsria.co.uk. BSRIA members can download the pdf for free. A fully editable “licensed version” is also available. For further information – or to provide feedback – contact BSRIA’s Publications Manager, David Bleicher – firstname.lastname@example.org – 01344 465 589.
BG6/2018 Design Framework for Building Services 5th Edition