BSRIA has improved and simplified its website, making it far easier for Members and customers to get the information they seek. Clare Sinclair explains the improvements.
BSRIA’s new website has a fresh design, simpler navigation, and easier access to member resources, including a new login system. This is a response to trends in web design and feedback from BSRIA Members.
Web design has changed dramatically in the past few years, in part because of the increase in mobile browsing. Content is proliferating, but often shorn of packaging and design. Kindles are a prime example – take away the colour, the flip-pages, the different font styles, and reduce illustrations to a minimum, and what’s left is merely a great reading experience. You can no longer judge a book by its cover – because it may not even have one.
Although 4G broadband speeds across the UK are not far away, mobile devices still require data presented simply and able to be quickly downloaded. As a result, the web is clearing out its design clutter. Designs are becoming more intuitive, and more flexible for multiple device layouts.
While BSRIA Members have commended the quality of our products and services, they have requested easier log-in processes and website navigation. In response, BSRIA is simplifying its online look and feel. Here’s a quick tour of the new features, so BSRIA Members and customers can make the most of our online services.
Accessing BSRIA services
The BSRIA website features four key services: services, information and membership, instrument solutions, and market intelligence.
All membership resources are available on this single website. To find information on anything, from acoustics to zinc, the search begins at the homepage. Members need to register with their corporate email address and chosen password the first time they visit. Once inside the website, Members can search across all BSRIA products (market reports coming soon), using an advanced search facility. Any products, books, or services can be added to the same shopping basket. Discounts will be applied automatically when Members are logged in.
It is likely that some industry professionals won’t know whether their company is a BSRIA Member. However, if they Google ‘commissioning guides’, get a hit for the BSRIA website and register, the BSRIA system will automatically authenticate them and for free. That’s a great way to easily benefit from BSRIA membership. Likewise, any colleagues covered by a membership subscription will be just a few clicks away from accessing BSRIA knowledge online.
BSRIA has carefully balanced security considerations with the requirement for company-wide access to its online resources. Once registered, BSRIA Members will be able to log in with their company email address and a password of their choice. For first time users, register by selecting ‘Login’ from the top right of any page and clicking ‘Register now’ from the bottom of the window.
The website will automatically recognise your email domain (unless your company representative has opted to set up other log-in details with BSRIA). You will be sent an instant verification email. Once you have that, then you’re ready to go.
Easier access to member benefits
To access services (previously on BSRIA’s Infonet) such as discounts on BSRIA publications and to order library items, Members just need to log in. Users can then either visit the ‘Information and Membership’ section, or search the website.
Searching the website retrieves resources including Members-only content (although full access is still restricted to Members). Users have the option of either searching all website content, or limiting searches to the bookshop, legislation database, or the library collections. In fact, Members will find many BSRIA services just by using Google.
Members can shop across BSRIA services and products, adding items to a global shopping basket. This means users can buy both an instrument and a commissioning guide about how to use it at the same time.
Here is a quick rundown of some of the Member benefits available online:
- Download PDFs of BSRIA publications, including popular titles like Rules of Thumb
- Webinars-on-demand. Watch again from our popular series of hour-long discussions with subject experts. Topics include the Building Regulations, embodied carbon, commissioning, and building information modelling (BIM) As with all BSRIA’s training, attendees will receive a CPD certificate.
- Order unlimited items from the library, including standards, books, and journal articles, from an extensive database of over 80,000 items relating to the built environment
- Search BSRIA’s online legislation resource for information on selected regulations, Acts of Parliament and facilities management publications
- Attend network events and view presentations from previous meetings. Networks include Energy and Sustainability, Young Engineers and Building Environment Assessments
- BSRIA business services include network meetings, online resources, a monthly e-newsletter and the quarterly Business Bulletin
- Discounted training. Online booking for a wide range of one to two-day courses, including introductions to commissioning, renewables, and mechanical building services. BSRIA also provides bespoke in-house training and ATTMA-accredited airtightness testing courses.
Let us know what you think. We’d like your feedback and ideas.
Clare Sinclair is BSRIA’s Knowledge and Information Manager and responsible for BSRIA’s library services. Contact Clare on email@example.com.
For more information on the benefits of BSRIA Membership, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Michael Doig on +44 (0) 1344 465532.